surrendering your dog or cat
The Driftless Humane Society helps many dogs and cats in need find loving homes each year. While we will take in any cat or dog surrendered to us regardless of its health, age, breed or behavior, we do have limited space so you need to call us before bringing an animal to the facility. Last year, more than 95 percent of the animals in our care were placed in forever homes.
We understand that parting ways with an animal can be especially difficult and we're committed to working with you to ensure the best possible solution for you and your pet.
You must schedule an appointment to surrender an animal. Please call 608-637-6955 or use our contact page on the website to schedule an appointment
what to bring
- A completed Surrender Form.
- A driver's license or other government issued ID.
- Your pet's surrender form. Find the appropriate surrender form below. If you do not have access to a printer, please arrive to your appointment 15 minutes early to complete the forms. Our goal is to find a happy home for every healthy and treatable animal, which we can achieve by knowing more about the animals that come into our care.
- Your pet’s veterinary records.
- Your pet's surrender fee, listed below. The cost to care for and re-home pets can be hundreds of dollars for each animal. We ask for a surrender fee to help subsidize this cost. The fee is non-refundable and is not dependent on the outcome you choose for your pet after its evaluation
Dogs: $50.00 if the dog is spayed/neutered and has all required vaccinations $100.00 if the dog has all required vaccinations but it not spayed/neutered $130.00 if the dog has not had required vaccinations and is not spayed/neutered
Cats: $50.00 if the cat is spayed/neutered and has all required vaccinations $100.00 if the cat has all required vaccinations but is not spayed/neutered $120.00 if the cat has not had required vaccinations and is not spayed/neutered